Wednesday 25 January 2012

South Africa: Colour in a World of Grey

I'm thinking about South Africa. Last Friday was the 9 year anniversary of when I first set foot in the country to spend 7 months in Port Shepstone. 9 years...
I remember the feeling as the plane touched down after a  l o n g, emotional journey. I was 18 and had never been away from home for more than a few weeks. All I knew about South Africa was what I'd seen on the news - crime, unrest, hostility. I lived so much of my life full of fear of the worst, to the extent that, to this day, I'm amazed I got on that plane. But I did.
I clearly remember the fear dissolving as I looked out the plane window and I can't logically  explain why ...God... but instantly, abundantly, overwhelmingly, all I could think was, "I LOVE IT!"
After my first stint there, I went back another 3 times, each at different stages of my life and different stages in the life of Port Shepstone. Each visit brought a flood of emotions  at periods in my life when I was fighting to feel. South Africa and the people I loved there were my easy breath of air when I was being choked by apathy.
                         joy 
     doubt                                                               sadness 
                                      confidence    
                                                             heartache 
                      hope                                                                              
frustration                                    wonder 
                                love
                                                                        relief                                                grief                                    happiness                
                       compassion 
                                                       purpose


I love South Africa: the country, the food, the people. Northern Ireland will always be my home. New Zealand is the place I choose to live.


                                   South Africa is my splash of colour

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Am enjoying reading! 9 years since you went to SA - that is crazy! Hope the Wednesdays are working out well so far. lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete